Sunday, April 5, 2009

A new morning

Photo: Big Blue Tech

The day I arrived Koh Tao, I went to see a doctor. Although I felt already much better than earlier, it felt like a good idea. Maybe I was just paranoid with tropical diseases. The doctor, a middle aged Thai gentleman was talking English in a typical Thai-way. The accent I have found extremely difficult to understand, because they tend to "eat" half of the letters. After some communication difficulties and polite laughs, I was taken a blood sample and given some medication. Of course, the doctor wanted me to stay over night. It was all about private health care and ways to make money. I declined to offer determinedly. Sleeping is much cheaper in own bungalow.

The next morning was psychedelic. Suddenly I was just living again. The first time for days. It reminded me the scene in the Finnish The Unknown Soldier movie, where the Soviet Union chases the gun fire and the war just suddenly ends. Soldiers are crawling out of their trenches looking very confused. Finlandia is ringing on background. Anyways, I headed to the doctor to hear about for my blood sample. The result was nothing. Everything was all right. No malaria, no bacterias, no increased lymphocyte values. According to the sample, I was perfectly healthy. The disease had probably been a virus, the doctor reasoned. The doctor asked me to rest for two days. Then I would be free to do what ever I wanted.

I read the message: diving tomorrow!

That was because, in the next day there was a long waited trip to a wreck. An old Japanese transport vessel was lying on the sea bottom some kilometers off the coast in the depth of 50 meters. Diving would be something we did not experience every day at the Dive Master course. Deep enough to make it deco-diving. For those, who want to make it deeper and harder. Just perfect rest for the restless. Just that kind of diving I was seeing nightmares about two years ago.

Although the visibility dropped down to less than 2 meters at the depth of 35 meters, the trip was awesome. Murky water, crawly animals, the old wreck and the nitrogen narcosis made up just a perfect atmosphere for wreck diving. A great experience, although I have experienced better wreck dives in the Northern Norway...That's because Northern Norway is amongst the best places in the world for wreck diving.


0 kommenttia: