Monday, February 9, 2009

New life in the jungle

After the first morning on the island, everything have been quite like I was dreaming about. Palm trees, the jungle, wild life, bungalows and diving resorts. Things are very different from Phuket. Only in a good way. It's even possible to walk on the streets without that a hawker comes to shout in Finnish "Terrve, terrrrve! Osta hyva puuukku!" or that every second woman is whispering in your ear "Massaaage, massaage. Only you and me, honey!" (which was not that disgusting after all). Last but not least. The spirit. It somehow reminds me of Svalbard. Many things are similar including the "this is my place" feeling. Many things are also very different including the monkeys, the butterflies and the palm trees.

Last days have gone on organizing my new life on the island, since I realized that I have to stay at least for two months. After a full day of fixing, I managed to find a diving resort which I liked. After driving around half of the island, I found a home that looks like me. It's pretty basic. Quite like Dagtun. A small bungalow. Just big enough for one dirty bed and a toilet. The roof might be leaking a bit. Electricity is on, when the time is right, but the view. That is something. While laying in the hammock on the terrace, one can see half of the island. Beaches, the jungle, islands and rocks around Ko Tao and far to the sea.

The bungalow lays in the middle of the jungle on a side of a mountain. In a perfect quiet spot, although the wild life is a bit of concern. Animals such as very noisy birds and monkeys are quite OK, because they have stayed outside. I am a bit in trouble with the animals such as ants, bugs of all kinds, mosquitoes, geckos and spiders. They just want to be my room mates. I guess, I just have to accept it. At least I have a good change to learn something about them. We start to have a special relationship with a 10 cm long gecko living on the wall. He is eating all kinds of blood-thirsty insects, they say. As long as they won't come under my mosquito net, we shall have a peace.

An other story is the guys keeping the bungalow resort. They dealed me a motor cycle (125cc off-road bike) with a very good price (80 e / month). I am part of the family they say. No falang (white man) prices for the family members, they said. And I like it. We have been sitting on the terrance looking down to the island and reasoning about the life. They have liked it, I think.

As a conclusion about this all: This must be the place. This is life as it should be!

0 kommenttia: