Monday, February 2, 2009

Out of the frying pan into the fire

It is very difficult to navigate, if one doesn't manage to say any parts of a local name so that the locals would understand what the one is actully talking about. Finally after many big problems, misunderstandings and hassles, I successed to leave the metropol. Mostly because of some friends decided to buy me a Lonely Planet book. Many things happened during my last day in the town. I may post some stories with better time, but for now let's just say that I wasn't ready for the city.


When thinking about a bus trip in South-East Asia many would imagine an old bus and dusty roads. Not in Southern Thailand. Even though I took the cheapest ticket and was the only foreigner in the whole floor, the bus was more luxurous than those which operate in Finland. 13 hours trip to Phuket was actually quite comfortable.

Around 5 o'clock in the morning, I finally arrived to a shabby bus station in Phuket town. Within 15 seconds I was hailed by flock of taxi drivers who wanted to drive me everywhere. With help of a random Finnish guy and his Thai girl friend, who had came about same time, we took scooter taxis to a guest house.

The guest house was surrounded by small houses and a flock of some tropical trees. The view from the balcony of my room was stunning. A tropical forest and a small forest covered hill. There was some small houses between the trees. Local cocks started to crow in the forest to welcome the morning around six o'clock. Crickets and birds compleated the noice to a sympohny of nature. Sleeping was out of guestion. There was magic in the air.

In the next morning I rent a scooter and drove to meet my friend, who were in Patong Beach. Learning curve in the traffic was steep. That's good because otherwise, I would be dead. Thai's doesn't need traffic signs. They seem to do well, althought I didn't. I used more time to roam around than driving towards the destination. 14 km trip took 1,5 hours. Not bad. At least I was alive. I also got sunburned. In Bangkok the pollution was blocking UV's efficiently. Here the sun was actually shining. Yes mama, I used sun lotion as you said...

Patong Beach turned out to be worse than Khao San road. The nest of sins. Unsparing girls, cigarettes, alcohol and drugs everywhere. Nevertheless, there I must go. We made a deal for Thursday. My friends friends Thai girl friend discussed quite reasonable price for us. We rent an own yacht to take us for a fishing trip. Day with the boat going where ever we want, food, service and the crew included. 8000 Baths in total. We are five to share it. No Brit-tourists on board.

Now I'll head to the hectic traffic of Phuket island and drive to Patong. There I'll stay until Friday morning. A field report of a night in Sin Beach might follow.

0 kommenttia: