Friday, August 27, 2010

A Bivalve Challenge



Some words about my work this time. As said, I am working with marine bivalves. The first and foremost challenge in the PhD student life, compared to my former jobs, is the freedom. Ok, I have supervisors, who are trying to keep me on the right path, but still there are so many ways to go. Asking me "what are you exactly working with?" is a bad idea. I hardly know it myself. Projects are numerous. Maybe some of them gives results in the end.
Lisää kuvateksti

Right now I am trying to find out the most effective ways to take samples. Since I need quantitative (=sampled area of seafloor is known) samples for bivalve population study, I have been experimenting with an under-water suction pump. Playing with the pump is turning out to a success and I even got my first useful sample. With the sample became another challenge: which species are these guys? Unlike with crustaceans, there is no really descriptive literature on mollusc shells. One just have to ask around and look for photos on the internet and in old books.


Lisää kuvateksti
In addition I am writing a funding application to study growth band formation in bivalve shells. These growth bands can be used as archives to study past climate and the variability of conditions between sites. First we have to find out in what kind of conditions various elements and isotopes are deposited into the shells...
Lisää kuvateksti

0 kommenttia: